Here's the big lesson from mega storm Sandy. Mother Nature sneers at high tech, mocks modern convenience and couldn't care less about what kind of person you are - she will smack you if she wants.
Many of us have forgotten about nature as we have become addicted to machines. We must have gizmos. Sandy laughed and took them away. Power, gone. Internet, dark. Cell phones, not happening. Even your landline phone - not available because "all circuits are busy."
Suddenly, it was 1850 with one exception: battery operated flashlights and radios.
So what is the lesson here?
Well, actually there are a few. First, that no government agency can help you when disaster strikes. Any assistance will be after the fact and painstakingly slow.
Second, that in order to ride out any storm effectively, you should be self-reliant and resilient. That means you have to anticipate problems and have some solutions at the ready.
For example, where I live on Long Island, the power infrastructure is a disaster and has been for years. The power company, LIPA, simply cannot keep the juice flowing under any duress. I have accepted that, so I bought a generator. However, during Sandy, the generator did not work. You can imagine how many four-letter words were uttered. But, I had a Plan B. I know some guys who can repair generators, and they fixed mine very quickly. I have a long-term relationship with these guys and will reward them.
So, I rode out the storm pretty well, and that's good because there are children in my home.
Never one time did I think the local, state or federal government was going to help me in any way. When President Obama speaks about government being there for you, I roll my eyes. In the history of mankind, no government has ever been there for the individual. Ever.
Via: Bill O"Reilly
Continue Reading...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Popular Posts
-
Black Lives Matter co-founder Patrisse Cullors writes that the Democratic Party has “milked” the votes of African-Americans The Outrage ...
-
Environmentalists fighting the Keystone XL pipeline are rallying to block a Maryland natural gas export terminal as momentum builds to use ...
-
Popular podcaster Joe Rogan endorsed former President Donald Trump on Monday, citing a “compelling case” made by Elon Musk on his show. Th...
-
Never eat with your fingers, my late mother said, but when I am really hungry all bets are off. Never start driving with a cold engine, my...
-
The Obama administration will release healthcare enrollment numbers for Obamacare's rocky October rollout this week that could be more...
-
Will the Floridians who have enrolled for Obamacare please stand up? Nearly two weeks after the federal government launched the online He...
-
(CNSNews.com) – White House Spokesman Jay Carney said that the Obama administration had not “rejected” the Keystone pipeline, despite t...
-
By Jessica Meyers GLOBE STAFF JUNE 05, 2015 WASHINGTON – Seth Moulton had earned two medals in Iraq for his valor. He’d witnes...
-
As the weather heats up in Washington, DC, the Obamas as planning their summer vacation. The Boston Herald reports that President Bar...
-
Is it all about “the bounce?” Of course we are referring to the post-convention bounce in the polls typically seen immediately after the...

No comments:
Post a Comment