The nation’s first federally run auction for a chance to develop solar power projects on public lands was a bust – no one showed up for the bidding, and one expert speculated the government shutdown could have been to blame.
“We did not have any bidders come to the sale and we did not receive any sealed bids on the sale,” BLM spokeswoman Vanessa Lacavo told the Denver Business Journal Thursday.
She insisted the cold shoulder at the Lakeland, Colo., auction doesn’t spell the end of solar development on the land, however.
The auction offered private companies the first chance to bid on the opportunity to file development plans for solar power plants in Colorado’s “Solar Energy Zones” in Conejos and Saguache counties in San Luis Valley.
The parcels total 3,705 acres. If fully developed, the land could produce 400 megawatts of power, enough to support the needs of an estimated 125,000 homes, the business journal said.
“The BLM had received interest in developing the sites, that’s why we moved forward,” Lacavo said. “It’s hard to say why we didn’t have any bidders."
The agency said it scheduled the auction because, after trying to gauge interest from the private sector in March, it got nine applications and 27 inquiries and expressions of interest, the business journal reported.
"We will evaluate today's auction as we look at future opportunities to offer lands in Solar Energy Zones for development, both in Colorado and other Western states," the BLM said.
Alex Daue, the renewable energy associate in the Denver office of the Wilderness Society, told the business journal the 16-day government shutdown could have created enough uncertainty among companies that they didn’t submit bids for the parcels.
The shutdown began Oct. 1.
Via: Newsmax
Continue Reading.....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Popular Posts
-
The 2016 election will be one in which “voters will look past what you say to what you’ve done,” Rick Perry says in a new video on his web...
-
NEW YORK (Reuters) - Stocks opened higher on Wednesday on optimism that U.S. politicians would strike a last-minute deal to prevent the cou...
-
Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel is dispatching the head of the National Guard to states that have refused to allow same-sex couples serving i...
-
According to the Medicaid provider contract between DHH and Planned Parenthood, along with relevant Louisiana law, either party can choos...
-
Lately, there has been a lot of hype about Donald Trump’s comments on illegal immigration. I’ve seen post after post on Facebook from Hisp...
-
Earlier this week, CalWatchdog.com mentioned some of the political implications that the partial government shutdown will have on Congres...
-
A top Democratic senator said Sunday that Secretary of Health and Human Services Kathleen Sebelius will testify before Congress a...
-
This week a 19 year old Republican, Yvonne Dean-Bailey, won a highly contested race in the swing state of New Hampshire. Dean-Bailey,...
-
MSNBC contributor Jonathan Alter on Saturday continued the liberal media pattern of siding with the Obama administration on the current gov...
-
The increasingly agitated Ed Schultz on Wednesday both justified lying to Americans about being able to keep their insurance and, at the sa...
No comments:
Post a Comment