The White House began easing economic sanctions that have crippled Iran for five years not long after its new president was elected in June — and months before Hassan Rouhani and President Barack Obama talked by telephone in September, State Department documents show.
The United States has done everything but stopped blacklisting individuals and companies that Iran evade international sanctions since Rouhani's election on June 14, The Daily Beast reports.
And the Obama administration has been doing less of that since the election, despite claims to the contrary, the website reports.
“In the months since the Iranian election we have continued to pursue our unwavering goal of preventing Iran from obtaining a nuclear weapon,” a spokesman for the Treasury Department told the Daily Beast. “We have not let up on vigorous sanctions enforcement one iota.
"This includes new designations of sanctions evaders as well as other steps to address potential sanctions evasion,” the spokesman said.
Designating such violators has been crucial to the Obama administration's strategy to force Iran into abandoning its nuclear program — and they have been a factor in the current negotiations between Tehran, the U.S., and other world powers in Geneva this week.
Negotiations to curb Iran's nuclear efforts are in their third day on Saturday. Officials are optimistic, but said there still is no certainty of a deal.
"The negotiations taking place are about how Iran begins to meet its international obligations and provide assurances not just to us but to the entire world,” President Obama told NBC News on Thursday. They are “not about easing sanctions.”
But the administration on several occasions has indicted they are ready to lift sanctions. And Vice President Joe Biden last month urged that no new sanctions be imposed on Iran
Via: Newsmax
Continue Reading....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Popular Posts
-
The 2016 election will be one in which “voters will look past what you say to what you’ve done,” Rick Perry says in a new video on his web...
-
NEW YORK (Reuters) - Stocks opened higher on Wednesday on optimism that U.S. politicians would strike a last-minute deal to prevent the cou...
-
Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel is dispatching the head of the National Guard to states that have refused to allow same-sex couples serving i...
-
According to the Medicaid provider contract between DHH and Planned Parenthood, along with relevant Louisiana law, either party can choos...
-
Lately, there has been a lot of hype about Donald Trump’s comments on illegal immigration. I’ve seen post after post on Facebook from Hisp...
-
Earlier this week, CalWatchdog.com mentioned some of the political implications that the partial government shutdown will have on Congres...
-
A top Democratic senator said Sunday that Secretary of Health and Human Services Kathleen Sebelius will testify before Congress a...
-
This week a 19 year old Republican, Yvonne Dean-Bailey, won a highly contested race in the swing state of New Hampshire. Dean-Bailey,...
-
MSNBC contributor Jonathan Alter on Saturday continued the liberal media pattern of siding with the Obama administration on the current gov...
-
The increasingly agitated Ed Schultz on Wednesday both justified lying to Americans about being able to keep their insurance and, at the sa...
No comments:
Post a Comment