Saturday, November 9, 2013

Ted Cruz to Leno: 'What I'm Trying to Do is Do My Job'

Texas Republican Sen. Ted Cruz made his late night television debut Friday, where he and Tonight Show host Jay Leno talked about his opinions on Obamacare, same-sex marriage and his future ambitions.

Leno wasn't easy on the freshman senator, who has become one of the loudest critics of Obamacare, and whose efforts to defund the president's health insurance plan was one of the factors leading to October's partial government shutdown, CNN reports.

 

"Don't believe everything you read," Cruz told Leno, in response to questions about complaints from both Democrats and Republicans that he is "aggressive, arrogant and abrasive."

"What I’m trying to do is do my job,” he said. “And occasionally people don’t like it.”
Cruz, while discussing Obamacare, reiterated his belief that the law is both harmful and destructive, but denied he wants to eliminate health care reform.

"I'm a big believer in health care reform" Cruz told Leno. "I think we ought to reform health care so it's personal, it’s portable, it’s affordable. We ought to empower patients rather than government bureaucrats getting between you and your doctor.”

 

Further, Cruz said he "was not a fan of shutting down the government," to which Leno replied "You looked like a big fan from where I was standing."

Cruz, who is often mentioned as a possible 2016 presidential candidate, also defended his controversial father, Rev. Rafael Cruz, a Cuban immigrant who has become a tea party favorite as his son's star began to rise on a national level.

The elder Cruz's many controversial comments, including opposition to same-sex marriage, were brought up on the show, with the senator telling Leno he shares the same opposition with his father, who he often calls his inspiration.

"I support marriage between one man and one woman," said Cruz, noting he believes the decision should be left up to the states.

 

But Cruz also told Leno that people who oppose him often attack his father, mainly because of political reasons.

“Some folks have decided to try to go after him because they want to take some shots at me,” Cruz said. “But I think the critics are better off attacking me. My dad has been my hero my whole life."

Via: Newsmax


Continue Reading.....

No comments:

Popular Posts