Thursday, August 15, 2013

SOCIAL SECURITY IS STUPID

Social Security is stupidYesterday was the birthday, so to speak, of Social Security. On August 14, 1935, President Franklin D. Roosevelt signed the Social Security Act into law. That makes SS 78 years and one day too old, and quite ripe for a scathing criticism.
I remember when the concept of Social Security was first explained to me- a few years ago when I received my first paycheck. Basically, as I was made to understand it, the government takes a portion of my paycheck and holds onto it for me, like a savings account or a piggy bank, with the promise of giving it back to me later on, in the event I become disabled, unemployed, or, heaven forbid, old.
“But why can’t I be responsible for overseeing my own savings?” I asked as a naive, independent upstart, quite protective of my minimal wages.
And so I continue to ask. It doesn’t make any more sense to me now than it did when I was a teenager. What I also continue to ask is why are not more young people, like me, baffled, shocked, and enraged about this demeaning system?
SS is extremely complicated, not to mention rife with fraud. An article from Time magazine said that “Getting every dollar you are eligible to receive can be painfully complicated.” For something described so simply as “a program that uses public funds to provide a degree of economic security for the public,” it has been estimated that there are “over 100 million possible combinations in terms of precisely when to take benefits and make various adjustments.”
And contrary to its name, SS is anything but secure. Aren’t we tired of the system not working? Let’s get rid of it before it, too, is exhausted. (By The Social Security Board of Trustees’ latest projections, that will be by 2033.) Stossel agrees with me.

No comments:

Popular Posts