Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Cruz knocks House Republicans for ‘symbolic’ votes on Obamacare

WASHINGTON — Republican Sen. Ted Cruz knocked House Republicans for taking votes to repeal Obamacare that he called “symbolic,” rather than effective.
Speaking at a briefing at the Heritage Foundation on his push with several other Republican senators to defund the Affordable Care Act using the continuing resolution, Cruz said that would be an action with a real effect, and that efforts before were largely for show.
“There are an awful lot of politicians in Washington who love empty, symbolic votes,” Cruz said. “It’s been one of my biggest surprises in the Senate. … I guess I wasn’t cynical enough when I arrived. I didn’t realize how many Republicans love to have a fig leaf vote where they can go and tell their constituents: ‘See, I voted to do the right things.’”
“I mean, the House has voted, what? 39, 40, 41 times? I can’t keep track, to repeal Obamacare. Those votes were by and large all empty, symbolic votes. they had zero chance of passage,” Cruz said. “So they’re in many ways ideal politics cause they let you cast a vote so you can go to your constituents and say, ‘See, I voted to do that.’ But there’s no chance of it actually happening.”
“On the CR,” he said, “that’s where the rubber meets the road.” (RELATED: Cruz says this is the last chance to get rid of Obamacare)
Cruz added that he believed voters were aware of the difference.
“Any elected official who casts a vote for this continuing resolution that funds Obamacare is affirmatively voting to fund Obamacare,” he said
Via: The Daily Caller

Continue Reading....

No comments:

Popular Posts