Tuesday, November 26, 2013

My Obamacare Cancellation - "Seething at a President I helped elect."

President Barack Obama pauses as he speaks on the Affordable Care Act in the Brady Press Briefing Room. (Photo by MANDEL NGAN/AFP/Getty Images)We received the letter in the mail a couple months ago. The good people at Regence Bluecross Blueshield were pleased to inform us that due to Obamacare, our current low monthly premium and comically high deductible medical policy would no longer exist come January 1, 2014. Pleased, because a new and better plan would be offered in its place. Old monthly premium: $578 for a family of four (non-smoking, helmet-wearing and paternally snipped). New premium: $1,123. A 94% increase.

Once the sound of boiling blood dissipated, I heard my Republican friends in my head chuckling at the sight of a liberal Democrat hoisted ten stories high on his own petard. How’s the view up there, Obamacare Ollie

For the past 15 years my wife and I have made our living as freelance writers. (To young readers, I say: Do not do this. Your bliss is marvelous, but its following will need to be supported by a banker, plumber, union machinist or tenured faculty member.) As such, our health insurance is our own concern. Over the years we’ve held on to our coverage by letting our co-pay and deductible rise and our covered procedures fall. You may be aware that the three-tiered state exchange policies are labeled Gold, Silver, and Bronze, reflecting their price and level of coverage. If our policy still existed it would fall into the column of Wood.

But Wood we had—and Wood we liked.

No more. Okay, into the state exchange we go. I voted for it. Fair enough.

Via: New York Observer

Continue Reading....

No comments:

Popular Posts